This Vegan Orange and Cranberry Loaf is the ideal Christmas flavour combination in my eyes. I’ve been desperate to get these flavours into something, shortbread, cookies, cakes…but settled on a loaf cos, well, loaves are my fave, end of.
Not only have I made this loaf Vegan, but it also uses wholemeal flour, so will suit most tastes and diets going on now, just before the Christmas Binge. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Ingredients for Vegan Orange and Cranberry Loaf
2 tbsp chia seeds
6 tbsp water
150g wholemeal flour
120g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g caster sugar
60g date syrup/golden syrup/fruit sugar (honey if not vegan) (+1 tbsp for drizzling)
50g sunflower oil
2 medium oranges (zest of both, juice of one)
140ml almond/oat/soya milk
100g dried cranberries
one loaf tin greased/lined
preheat oven to 180oC
1) Chuck your chia/flax seeds into a food processor/nutribullet and whizz until they have been ground into a powder-y flour (you could do this with a pestle and mortar if you have the strength and the time and no food processor). Pop them into a mug and mix with the 6 tbsp of water. Cover with cling film and place this in the fridge to set for 15 mins.
2) In a medium bowl mix together the wholemeal flour, flour, cinnamon and baking powder with a wooden spoon and set aside.
3) In a large bowl whisk together the caster sugar, syrup, oil, zest of both oranges, juice of one orange and the chia seeds on a medium-high speed for at least 2-3 mins. Once done, pour in half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and fold together carefully with a wooden spoon. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk. Lastly, add about 80g of the cranberries and fold until they have been evenly dispersed.
4) Pour this mixture into the prepared baking tin. To make sure the batter comes out even click here (and go to number 11) then smooth the top down with the back of a spoon/knife. Scatter the remaining cranberries on top of the loaf.
5) Pop on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 45-50 mins. The loaf is ready when a skewer inserted comes out clean and has browned a little around the edges. If it starts to brown too much on top, place some foil over the top for the last 10-15 mins. Once done, remove and leave to cool in the tin, drizzling with a bit of left orange juice (1-2tbsp) if you have any and a tbsp of syrup while it is still warm, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Vegan Orange and Cranberry Loaf – DONE!