This gorgeous weather has me craving berries, and the shops are full of the purple variety (blueberries/blackberries etc…) so, I thought I’d stick them in a bake and simply call them ‘Purple Fruit Loaves’. This is a gluten free recipe, but if you aren’t gluten free, you can substitute the gluten free oats and flour for the plain old gluten FULL variety – it’ll work the same!
Ingredients for Purple Fruit Loaves
150g gluten free flour
80g gluten free oats
1 tsp (gluten free) baking powder
190g unsalted butter
190g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
90ml whole milk
(optional 1 tbsp golden syrup/honey/maple syrup to drizzle over at the end)
makes 10 mini loaves
preheat oven to 180oC
Grease/line the mini loaf tin
1) In a nutri bullet/food processor whizz the gluten free oats until they are fine and flour like. Once done, chuck them a medium bowl with the flour and baking powder. Mix well with a wooden spoon and set aside.
2) In a large bowl whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and paler in colour (this will take at least 3-4 mins). Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to whisk until well combined. Repeat with the vanilla extract.
3) Pour half the flour/oat bowl and half of the milk into the large butter/sugar bowl. Fold together with a wooden spoon, being careful not to over mix. Once it has just come together, repeat with the remaining flour and milk.
4) Leaving a handful of each fruit to the side, throw the rest of the fruit into the bowl and stir carefully with a wooden spoon until all the fruit is evenly dispersed. Pour the batter into the loaf tins until they are level with the top and take the berries that you left out and evenly scatter them on top of the loaves.
5) Pop on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 23-27 mins. They are done when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in tray and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with the optional golden syrup/maple/honey while still warm.
Happy Purple Fruit baking!