I thought it was time for a bit of a sophisticated Halloween treat. This looks massively posh, but is so blooming easy to make and will be sure to impress (when actually you’ve hardly done anything….) Apple & Caramel scream autumn/Halloween to me, so if you have a bit of the caramel left over why not drizzle it over an apple and let it set in the fridge?
I’ve made my own caramel but if you’re really pushed for time you can just melt some caramel sweets or pour some out of a tin.
Half a large apple (any variety)
300g white chocolate
50g dark chocolate
50g unsalted butter
100g light soft brown sugar (+ 1 tbsp for dusting on the apple)
35g double cream (poss a touch extra depending on how thick you like your caramel!)
Line 2 10 x 7 1/2 inch baking sheet with parchment
A few sheets of kitchen roll
Pre heat oven to 100oC
1) Very very very thinly slice your apple, as slim as you physically can get it without chopping your fingers. If you have a mandolin slicer (rather than the stringed instrument) than this is ideal! Place the sliced Apple inbetween a few sheets of kitchen towel and press down. You want to soak as much moisture out of the apple slices as possible. Once done, arrange the apple slices on one of the baking sheets and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of sugar. Pop on the top shelf of the oven for about an hour.
2) Melt the white chocolate (for the perfect method click here and go to tip 11) Once melted, pour into the second prepared baking sheet and pop to the side. Make sure the chocolate has a flat and even surface, either by smoothing with the back of a spoon or shaking it gently from side to side.
3) Now melt the dark chocolate. Once melted pour/drizzle over the melted white chocolate into any shape/design/mess you like. Once done, pop this baking sheet into the freezer to set for at least an hour if not a bit more.
4) To make the caramel melt the butter, sugar and cream over a medium heat. Once melted let it boil for 2 mins, while constantly stirring. If this is a little thick for you add a tiny bit more cream until you get your preferred consistancy.
5) To assemble, take the chocolate out of the freezer and pull out of the baking sheet. Scatter the baked apple over the top, then drizzle the caramel over everything. Break into desired bite-sized mouthfuls and then you’re done! Lush!