It’s just TOO hot to bake, but I want a nutritious and cooling snack. I got my thinking cap on and so here are my Nutty Fridge Bars – they live in the fridge to keep them fresh and cool and are sort of like a sticky version of a granola bar. Gluten Free and Vegan too – never a bad thing! This intro seems really short, but alas, it seems like it’s too hot to type too!
Ingredients for Nutty Fridge Bars
230g soft/pitted dates/prunes (a mix of both or just one, I even added a dried fig too)
130g smooth peanut butter
60g honey/maple syrup
50ml almond/soy (or normal dairy) milk
230g gluten free oats
20g mixed seeds (I used pumpkin)
50g mixed nuts (I used almonds/cashews and macadamias)
Grease and line a 7″ by 9″ baking tray
Makes about 14 slices
1) In a small bowl pop your 230g of dates/prunes/figs in about 100ml of water. Leave to soak for about 10 mins.
2) Once soaked, take a tbsp of the water and pop it into a food processor/nutri bullet, drain the rest of the water from the fruits and then add them to the processor. Blitz until smooth. Once done, pop this into a large bowl.
3) In a small saucepan over a low heat mix together the peanut butter and honey/maple, stir occasionally until they are warm and have mixed together well. This won’t take long. Pop this into your large bowl with the blitzed fruits.
4) To the same bowl add the milk, oats, seeds and nuts and mix together well with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly dispersed. Now plop this into your prepared baking tray. It’s sticky, so I used my hands to push it round the edges and make it level on top. Once done, cover with a layer of parchment/baking paper and pop in the freezer to set for a couple of hours.
5) Once it has set, use a sharp knife to cut it into bars (size of your choice!) and leave in the fridge until your belly rumbles!
Yum, Rachel. Looks delicious, rich and nutritious. Thanks. :)by Hinda Farmer July 7, 2015 at 07 : 53
Thanks Hinda! xxby bright-admin July 7, 2015 at 07 : 28
Thank you sooo much! These look YUMMY! I can’t wait to try them out!by G July 7, 2015 at 05 : 51
My pleasure – let me know if you like them!by bright-admin July 7, 2015 at 06 : 22