Scones. A classic, sometimes overlooked (?!) staple beaut of a treat. Making these ‘mini strawberry scones’ means I can have one and not feel guilty. Or (more likely) I can have two and not feel THAT guilty. I’ve popped dried strawberries in them instead of raisins/sultanas just because I thought it would go well with the strawberry jam I had in the fridge, but go ahead and pop any dried fruit in that takes your fancy. Or even omit the fruit if you like it plain plain plain.
P.S. Don’t forget lashings of butter/cream/jam. Obvs.
Ingredients For Mini Strawberry Scones
200g plain flour (sifted) + 2 tbsp for dusting
1/4 tsp salt
50g caster sugar
2 tsps baking powder
60g unsalted butter (soft/at room temperature)
1 medium egg (beaten)
35ml whole milk (+ 1tbsp for coating)
40g chopped dried strawberries (or dried fruit of your choice)
Makes about 12 mini strawberry scones
Equipment: rolling pin, greased baking sheets, round cookie cutter (or top of a glass)
Pre heat oven to 220oC
1) In a large bowl pop in the flour salt, sugar and baking powder. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
2) Cut your butter into small (1-2cm) cubes and pop them in the large bowl. Using your (clean) hands, mix the butter and flour mixture together, pushing the flour and butter between your fingertips until it all comes together. Once this is done, the mixture should look crumbly and grainy.
3) Next pour in the (already beaten) egg, milk and cut up dried fruit. Mix this with a wooden spoon and, once it has all come together, get your hands in there to finish the mixing and form it into one big round dough ball.
4) Dust your work surface and rolling pin with the extra flour and plop the dough ball on top. Carefully roll out the dough until it is about 4 cm thick and use your cutter or top of a glass (I used the top of a tumbler – about 6 & 1/2cm diameter) and cut out little circles. Place these on your greased baking sheets, spaced a little apart and lightly brush each with the extra milk (and maybe a little extra caster sugar is you have some spare!)
5) Pop in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 mins, they will brown and rise slightly. Leave to cool on the baking sheet and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Smother with butter or cream or jam (or all) and enjoy the mini strawberry scones with a nice hot cuppa.