These Lemon & Lime Olive Oil Mini Muffins also come with a little lemon and lime drizzle – to make them extra special. This is a re-vamped version of an older post (actually one of my first!). I really fancied baking something, but with the weather so warm, I was a little confused with what to do. So, flicking through my blog (not vain-for maintenance!) I came across these babies, which I had completely forgotten about. The perfect sort of zingy taste for this time of year AND dairy free too! I made a few changes to freshen them up and make them even moister. Go bake bakers!
(A note: I’ve called these Lemon & Lime ‘Mini Muffins’ – However, I used cupcake cases, but filled them to the top of the case, hence the slightly odd name. Also, I thought ‘mini muffins’ sounded better!)
Ingredients for Lemon & Lime Olive Oil Mini Muffins
For the muffins
225g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
2 medium eggs
100g caster sugar
75ml olive oil (I used an organic extra virgin olive oil)
1 lemon (as big as you can get), juice and zest
1 lime, (as big as you can get) juice and zest
For the glaze
60g icing sugar
Juice of half a lime
Juice of half a lemon
plus a little extra zest for sprinkling
Muffin tin lined with muffin cases
Makes 12 mini muffins
a cupcake tray with cupcake cases
Pre heat oven 190oC
1) In a medium bowl sift together the flour and baking powder, mix well and set aside.
2) In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs, then add the caster sugar and honey. Whisk again until combined. Then add the oil and juice and zest of the lemon and lime and whisk again until all the ingredients are combined.
3) Pour half the flour mixture into the egg mixture bowl and fold with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and repeat. Do not over mix.
4) Fill the cupcake cases with the batter until they reach the top. Then place in the pre heated oven, on the middle shelf for 15-17 mins, or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean and slightly browned on top.
For the glaze
5) While these are in the oven pop the sifted icing sugar and juices in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Done.
6) Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. While still warm, pour the glaze over the muffins, as much or as little as your heart desires and then sprinkle with some zest.
and that’s your Lemon & Lime Olive Oil Mini Muffins done!