It’s the new year and lots of people have set themselves food related challenges after the festive indulgence, so I thought I’d make these Healthier Choice Apple and Walnut Muffins to help make this vile feeling a little more bearable and tasty! These Healthier Choice Apple and Walnut Muffins are Vegan, Gluten Free and have a much reduced sugar content (which is all unrefined) – all bases covered!
I’ve had them for breakfast and also for a pre-work out boost of energy, but they are just as good for a tea time snack too. My boyfriend is allergic to most nuts, so these can be made nut free too, by ignoring the nut instructions and using soy milk instead of almond.
January – You will be defeated.
Ingredients for Healthier Choice Apple and Walnut Muffins
2 tbsp chia/flaxseeds
6 tbsp water
2 medium apples (I used royal gala, but use your favourite)
260g gluten free porridge oats (or gf oat flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (gf)
200ml almond/soy milk
75g maple syrup/date syrup
75g crushed walnuts
12 hole muffin tray, sprayed lightly with coconut oil (or oil of choice)
a little kitchen roll
preheat oven to 180oC
1) In a food processor or nutri bullet whizz your chia/flaxseeds until they have been ground into a powder-y flour. Pop into a cup and pour in the 6 tbsp of water and mix well. Place in the fridge for 15 mins to set.
2) Using a veg peeler (or carefully with a sharp knife), remove the skin from your apples and discard (or, like me, slowly nibble on them while baking…eek!) Now grate both apples. Once grated, stick the lot between some kitchen roll and squeeze down to remove a little of the moisture. Set aside.
3) In your nutri bullet or food processor whizz up all your oats until they form a powdery constancy – just like plain flour. (Alternatively you can buy this already done, but this is so much cheaper). Pour into a large bowl with the baking powder and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4) Now time to throw in the chia seeds, grated apple, milk and maple/date syrup and whizz together on a medium to high speed until everything has come together evenly. Stir in the crushed walnuts (leaving a few to scatter on top before they go in the oven) with a wooden spoon until evenly dispersed.
5) Pour this batter into your 12 muffin holes until they reach the top. If you have any left over apple, slice as thinly as you can, pop between some more kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. These can be placed on top of the muffins along with the leftover crushed walnuts.
6) Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 18-22 mins. They are done when a skewer inserted comes out clean and they start to brown very slightly around the edges. Drizzle with a little extra maple/date syrup while still warm and leave to cool in tray. Once cool, turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Happy guilt free January :)