The Jan diet is getting tough right? So I thought I’d create these Gluten Free Lemon and Blueberry Mini Loaves as a healthy-ish treat. I’ve made them reduced sugar too, so less guilt and they can easily be made dairy free by swapping the milk for almond milk.
I also LOVE blueberry and lemon together, which are great super foods to pop in your diet. On a side note, Lemon and Blueberry always reminds me of summer – which I thought would help with the January blues, especially as I sit here watching, what the news is calling, a ‘weather bomb’ (commonly known as a January storm?!)
Anyway, enjoy, sit back and let these Gluten Free Lemon and Blueberry Mini Loaves remind you of the sunshine!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Lemon and Blueberry Mini Loaves
200g gluten free flour
170g ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 medium lemons (both zested and juiced)
70g vegetable oil
110g whole milk
75g honey (+ a little extra for drizzling)
35g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
15g poppy seeds (optional)
150g fresh blueberries
Pre-heat the oven to 180oC
Butter/grease a 12 portion mini loaf tin (or, if you don’t have one, see number 4)
Makes 12 mini loaves
1) In a large bowl combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and soda. Mix well.
2) In a medium bowl chuck in the lemon zest and juice, (I do this first incase there are any stray pips – you can fish them out easily if so!) as well as the oil, milk, honey and caster sugar. Give that all a quick mix. In a separate small bowl, whisk the two eggs together and pop them in the same bowl, then whisk everything together briefly.
3) Now add half the ‘wet’ ingredients into the ‘dry’ ingredients bowl and fold together. Once just combined, repeat with the remaining flour mixture and all the poppy seeds. Once just combined again, carefully fold in 100g of blueberries until they are evenly dispersed.
4) Pour the batter into the mini loaf tins until just over 3/4 full. (If you don’t have a mini loaf tin just use a normal baking tray (7″ by 9″) and then you can cut them into the sizes you want!) Then add the remaining blueberries to the top of the loaves. Pop on the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven for about 20-23 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and they have turned golden on top.
5) Leave to cool in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with a little extra honey to serve.