With the weather turning wintery, the scarves making their first appearance of the year and the radiators getting warmer by the day its not hard to believe I’m starting to feel very snuggly. Tea and biscuits are my happy place, so I thought I’d make a little twist on one of my all time favourite classics, so here is my Earl Grey ShortBread recipe. :)
Ingredients for Earl Grey Shortbread
6 teabags of Earl Grey Tea
360g plain flour (+ a little extra for dusting)
1/2 tsp salt
250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
125g caster sugar (+ 1tbsp for dusting)
makes about 26 Earl Grey ShortBread slices
line/grease at least 2 baking sheets
1) Cut open the teabags and put the contents into a small bowl with the flour and salt and mix together well with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly dispersed. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and 125g of caster sugar until light and fluffy and slightly paler in colour.
3) Pour the flour mix into the large bowl and mix everything together with a wooden spoon. Once it begins to come together, use your hands to bring it all into a big ol’ ball. Wrap this in some cling film and then leave to chill in the fridge for about 20 mins or so.
4) Once chilled, dust your (clean!) work surface and rolling pin with some flour. Chop the ball of dough in half, place one half back in the fridge and roll out the other half until it is about 1 1/2cm – 2cm thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your shapes and place on the prepared baking sheets. These can be placed quite close together, as they don’t spread much in the oven. Make sure you use all the dough, re rolling any extra dough together and repeating – get the other half of dough out the fridge and repeat until everything is used up!
At this stage I used a fork to make a few lines of dots down the middle of the biscuit (be very gentle) – unnecessary, but I think it looks pretty. So it’s optional.
5) Place the baking trays back into the fridge for at least 30 mins – preferably and hour or 2 (longer if you aren’t in a rush!)
preheat oven to 190oC
6) Once they have had their chilling time, place them in the oven for about 20 mins. They are done when they just start to brown around the edges. Once baked, leave them to cool on the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Yummy…Earl Grey Shortbread….EAT.