These Vegan Cranberry & Pecan Upside Down Cakes are not only for the Vegan crowd. I wanted to make something that I could serve at a dinner party (or any party for that matter) and no one would know whether it was vegan/healthy/indulgent/whatever – a crowd pleaser, something that would go down well with everyone, so I don’t have to make more than one dessert! So whether you’re vegan, trying to be a bit kinder to your belly or just simply looking for an alternative Christmas dessert – I think this is a winner! Oh, and it’s moist. Very moist.
Ingredients for Vegan Cranberry & Pecan Upside Down Cakes
2 tbsp chia/flax seeds
6 tbsp water
150g fresh cranberries
55g golden syrup (+ extra for drizzling)
150g wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
140g caster sugar
40g sunflower oil (+ a little extra for greasing)
175ml almond/soy milk
muffin tin, sprayed lightly with olive/sunflower/coconut oil
makes about 12 muffin sized mini cakes
Preheat oven to 180oC
1) In a food processor or nutri bullet whizz your chia/flaxseeds until they have been ground into a powder-y flour. Pop into a cup and pour in the 6 tbsp of water and mix well. Place in the fridge for 15 mins to set.
2) Using your nutribullet or processor again (or a potato masher will do!) chuck in the fresh cranberries, pecans and 30g of golden syrup and whizz very very briefly. A few seconds is enough, just so they are broken down a little. Pop to one side briefly.
3) Drizzle each muffin hole with 1/2 tsp golden syrup – so it is just very lightly coated. Now pour a thin layer of the cranberry mixture into the bottom of the muffin tins. Just so the bottom of the hole is covered, but make sure all of it is used up by hole 12. Put to one side.
4) In a medium bowl chuck in the wholemeal flour, oats and baking powder. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
5) In a large bowl whisk together the oil, sugar and 25g golden syrup until it is a little lighter in colour. Chuck in the chilled chia/flax seeds and whisk again. Once you have whisked this together pour in half the ‘flour bowl’ mixture and half the milk. Fold together with a wooden spoon. Be light and delicate. Once this is just about coming together add the remaining flour and milk and repeat.
6) Once the mixture has come together and is smooth pour it on top of the cranberry mixtures in the muffin tins. Make sure the mixture comes to just level with the top of the tin, no more.
7) Pop on the middle shelf of your preheated oven for 15-17 mins. They are done when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Making sure you turn the cakes upside down so the cranberries are on top!
They should fall out pretty easily, but some may need a little help, so use a blunt knife to work around the edges to loosen them out.
And there you have it…moist, sweet and Vegan Cranberry & Pecan Upside Down Cakes ready to be scoffed!