Sitting on my balcony in the May sunshine brought only one thing to mind – what bake would I like to stuff my face with right now? Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins were the answer.
Many people are put off with baking at all in the heat, but these aren’t in the oven for long and are so light, fluffy and moist it’s worth that extra bead of sweat. These are a real crowd pleaser too, so perfect for that pic nic/BBQ dessert that’s coming up.
The recipe below makes a little extra strawberry cream cheese sauce for dipping any extra strawberries in and for pouring on top of the baked muffins. DELISH.
Happy Strawberry Cream Cheese whisking bakers!
Ingredients For Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
for the muffins
100g unsalted butter
220g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
220g self raising flour
125ml whole milk
100g fresh strawberries (roughly chopped)
for the cream cheese layer
180g full fat cream cheese
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 strawberries mashed lightly with the back of a fork
12 hole muffin tray lined with 12 muffin cases
preheat the oven to 180oC
for the muffins
1) In a large bowl whisk together the butter and sugar until it resembles a crumbly mixture. Then add your eggs and vanilla extract and whisk on a medium speed for a good 3-4 minutes.
2) Add half the self raising flour and about half of the milk to the large bowl and fold together with a wooden spoon until it has only just come together. Do not over mix. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk. Lastly chuck in your chopped strawberries and carefully and lightly fold again until the strawberries are evenly dispersed. Set aside.
for the strawberry cream cheese layer
3) In a medium bowl chuck in the cream cheese and whisk on a high speed for a few minutes, slowly adding the egg yolk, caster sugar and strawberries. Whisk this for another 4 minutes. Long – but worth it. set aside. It should be sauce like.
4) Pour one tablespoon of muffin mixture into your prepared muffin cases, followed by a heaped tbsp of strawberry cream cheese and then topped off with more muffin mixture, until it reaches the top of the muffin cases. Give the tray a little light wiggle from side to side to release any air pockets.
5) Pop on the middle shelf of your preheated oven for about 25 mins, they are done when a skewer inserted comes out clean and have slightly browned around the edges. Leave to cool in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
There you have it – Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins with a bit of extra dunking sauce. Summer – We’re ready for you.