Other than a massive craving for Soft & Chewy American Style Cookies, there is no other reason for this post. I had a week off tour, had constantly passed ‘Millie’s Cookies’ stands and resisted temptation and so fancied a treat after some hard work. I have to say, one of my favourite cookie recipes to date – Here’s to the long awaited weekend treat!
Ingredients for Soft & Chewy American Style Cookies
200g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
80g unsalted butter (room temperature)
50g cream cheese (full fat)
190g caster sugar
1 medium egg
1tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1tbsp milk (whole/skimmed/coconut/soy – whatever you have)
120g mixed chocolate chips/chunks
2/3 baking sheets lined with baking paper or greased with butter or oil spray
some fridge space for chilling the dough
makes about 16 cookies
1) In a medium bowl chuck in the flour, bi carb and cornflour and mix well with a wooden spoon until everything has been evenly dispersed.
2) In a large bowl whisk together the butter, cream cheese and sugar on a medium-high speed for at least 3 minutes, until it’s pale and fluffy. Then add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk again for at least another 3 mins.
3) Pour half the flour mixture into the large bowl and fold with a wooden spoon until it has only just come together. Then repeat with the remaining flour and 1 tbsp milk. Once it has just been combined, chuck in roughly 75g of the chocolate chips/chunks and stir until they have been evenly dispersed. This mixture will be quite sticky and wet.
4) As this dough is sticky and wet (and therefore a little difficult to handle) you will need to use a dessert sized spoon to scoop out a piled spoon amount of batter. You can be quite generous. Use another spoon to round it into as best a ball shape as you can and plop it onto the baking sheet. Squidge the top down with the back of the spoon so it becomes a little flatter. These cookies spread so only place 6 on each baking tray.
5) Once you have used up all the dough, evenly stick the remaining chocolate chips on top of the cookies. Pop these into the fridge to firm up. It’s best to leave them overnight, but a few hours will be fine if you can’t wait that long.
6) Once they have had their chilling time, preheat the oven and take all the cookies out of the fridge. As the cookies have become firmer now, if you want to use your (clean) fingers to make shape them into a slightly more desirable circle shape, then go ahead. This isn’t necessary. I just like them look as ‘cookie round’ as possible.
7) Place them into the preheated oven for about 9-11 minutes. They really don’t need long, so keep an eye on them and swop the tray positions half way through cooking so they are evenly baked. They are done when they just start to brown around the edges.
8) Leave to cool on the tray as they will still be very soft and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely, or bypass the wire rack and scoff while still warm. Soft & Chewy American style Cookies have never been so DELICIOUS.