My brother wanted ‘anything with peanut butter’ as a birthday bake, so I went with these Peanut Butter and Banana Oat Slices. They are easy to transport to him, tasty and secretly vegan. He had no idea they were vegan, obviously, LOL.
I really like these as they are quick, simple and full of goodness but feel like you’re having a really naughty treat. Kinda perfect, right?!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter and Banana Oat Slices
150g oats (gluten free if you are!)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp goud cinnamon
2 medium ripe bananas (or 3 small ones) – mashed with the back of a fork
170g smooth peanut butter
100g maple syrup
1 medium egg or if vegan 1 tbsp chia seeds and 3 tbsp water
preheat oven to 180oC
Line/grease a 7″ by 9″ baking tray (if greasing use oil on a piece of kitchen towel or spray oil)
1) If using chia seeds instead of eggs – chuck your chia/flax seeds into a food processor/nutribullet and whizz until they have been ground into a powder-y flour (you could do this with a pestle and mortar if you have the strength and the time and no food processor). Pop them into a mug and mix with the 3 tbsp of water. Cover with cling film and place this in the fridge to set for about 15 mins.
2) Blast half of your oats (75g) in a food processor/nutri bullet so they are finer and flour like. (If you don’t have this equipment, don’t worry, just leave them in whole form, I like to mix up the textures a little)
3) Pour the oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a medium bowl and stir with a wooden spoon. Once everything is evenly dispersed, set aside.
4) In a large bowl whisk together the mashed banana, half (85g) of the peanut butter, maple syrup and chia seed mixture/egg until smooth and well mixed. Next, chuck the oat mixture into the large bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon. Once everything is evenly mixed pour into the prepared baking tin.
5) Pop on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 25 mins, it will brown lightly on top.
6) Once baked, leave to cool in the tin. While cooling, melt the remaining peanut butter in a saucepan over a low heat. It only needs to get warm and malleable, which should only take around 3-4 mins. Keep close attention – you don’t want it to burn!
7) Once melted, remove from the heat. Take the baking out of the tin and pour the peanut butter over the top. Slice into squares (size is your choice!) – best eaten warm. If you don’t eat it all in one sitting (unlikely! haha) pop them in the fridge so the peanut butter sets.
There you have it – Peanut Butter and Banana Oat Slices!