Father’s day has just passed and I asked my Dad what he wanted me to bake him. In my head, I had a fruity loaf, a decadent chocolate dessert or a moreish batch of cookies. How wrong I was – he said something with ‘cheese’. Oh. Right. Way to ruin my flow, Dad. I quickly put all thoughts of licking the remains of a chocolate bowl out of my head and settled for these savoury Olive and Feta Muffins. Which went down an absolute treat – Enjoy!
Ingredients for Olive and Feta Muffins
120g pitted black olives
150g feta cheese
250g self raising flour
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 medium eggs
70g grated mature cheddar
1 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
50ml olive oil
200ml whole milk
makes 12 muffins
12 hole muffin sheet and 12 muffin cases
Preheat oven to 180oC
1) Drain your olives (if in brine/water/oil) and chop each one into 4. Place to the side. Chop all the feta into small cubes and place these to the side too.
2) In a medium bowl mix together the self raising flour, pepper, salt and dried herbs with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly dispersed. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and the oil. Once well ‘whizzed’ add the cheddar, half of the milk, half of the ‘flour bowl’ and 100g of the chopped olives. Fold together carefully with a wooden spoon, do not over mix! When this has just about come together, add the remaining milk and ‘flour bowl’ and repeat.
4) In your prepared muffin tin, pour the batter into each muffin case so each one is half full. Crumble about 100 grams worth of feta over the muffins (the extra 50g is to sprinkle on top for decoration) and then top the muffins off with the remaining batter. Crumble the extra 20g of chopped up olives and 50g, or any extra feta, on top again.
5) Place the sheet on the middle shelf of a preheated oven for about 26-28 minutes. They will start to brown sightly on top and are done when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tray and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
…..There you have it, my Olive and Feta Muffins – Savoury taste buds sorted.