I recently invested in a juicer (quite an industrial sized one!) and have been making myself a lovely healthy juice before breakfast every morn (time permitting). Therefore, I’ve been trying out different juice recipes, seeing which ones I like best/are best for me etc etc. Well, I did a bit of a bulk buy on lemon and limes and quickly realised I didn’t like them in my morning juices. Darn. What am I going to do with all this citrus? And alas, my lemon and lime muffins were born. I’ve used olive oil instead of butter, as a slightly ‘better for you’ slant. I also thought it went with what I thought was quite a Mediterranean bake vibe. (It made sense in my head anyway….!)
For the muffins
225g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
1 medium lemon, juice and zest
1 medium lime, juice and zest
100g caster sugar
65ml olive oil (I use light olive oil so it’s not too strong a taste)
For the glaze
60g icing sugar
Juice of half a lime
Juice of half a lemon
Muffin tin lined with muffin cases
Pre heat oven 190oC
1) In a medium bowl sift together the flour and baking powder. Then add the zest of the lemon and zest of the lime (saving a tiny smidge of each to decorate the top of the muffins at the end)
2) In a large bowl lightly beat the eggs, then add the caster sugar and honey. Whisk until combined. Then add the oil and juice of the lemon and lime and whisk again until all the ingredients are combined.
3) Pour half the flour mixture into the egg mixture bowl and fold with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and repeat. Do not over mix.
4) Fill the muffin cases with the batter until 3/4 full. Then place in the pre heated oven, on the middle shelf for 22-25 mins, or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean and slightly browned on top.
For the glaze
5) While these are in the oven pop the sifted icing sugar and juices in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Done.
6) Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. While still warm, pour the glaze over the muffins, as much or as little as your heart desires and then sprinkle with some zest.