This is my extra thick, extra naughty, Chocolate Bar Shortbread recipe. Need I say more? (…I will…)
Yesterday went a bit like this: I have an unrequited love for shortbread, a classic that is often overlooked. I also have a jar of chocolate bars that are burning a hole in my cupboard. Time to combine the two methinks, cos – why not – and so the Chocolate Bar Shortbread were born.
I used ‘Crunchies’ and ‘Bounty’ bars – two of my faves, but you can use whatever chocolate bar/s that your heart desires. I have to say that the ‘Crunchies’ were a particularly good idea, the honeycomb melted and gave little chewy bites in-between the buttery goodness of the shortbread.
Enough chatting, time to bake – enjoy!
Ingredients for Chocolate Bar Shortbread
250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
125g caster sugar (+ 1tbsp for dusting)
360g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
185g favourite chocolate bars (which is about 2 ‘Bounty’ Bars and 2 ‘Crunchie’ Bars) – roughly chopped
Makes 9 MASSIVE & THICK slices (12 slices if you are being slightly more restrained)
preheat oven to 180oC
Line and grease a 7″ by 9″ baking sheet
1) In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and 125g of caster sugar until light and fluffy and slightly paler in colour. Once done, add the salt and vanilla extract and whisk well.
2) Sieve in all the flour and mix together with a wooden spoon. Once it begins to come together, use your hands to bring it all into a big ol’ ball.
3) Tip all your chocolate into the bowl and press into the ball of dough until it is evenly dispersed.
4) Press this mixture into the baking sheet until there are no gaps. I started with my hands, pressing it down and moving it round with my palms, then I used a very small glass to roll it out while in the baking sheet. Rolling with the small glass (or tiny rolling pin if you have one) gave it a nice smooth surface too, but hands will suffice.
5) Dust with the little extra caster sugar and place in the fridge for 10 mins to chill. Once chilled, pop on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 26-28 minutes. Leave to cool in the tray. Then slice and eat. Simple!