I love chocolate, I love bananas and I love eating. I also like trying to be ‘healthy’. My cupboards were still full of Easter chocolate treats and I wanted a healthier way to consume them. So was made my Blooming Healthy Chocolate & Banana Bread.
I’m all about guilt free treats and this is something I can look forward to after dinner without the ‘Oh I probably shouldn’t have done that’ voice that often occurs after indulgence. This is moist and rich and there is NO WAY it tastes ‘healthy’. One of my favs. Enjoy!
Ingredients For Blooming Healthy Chocolate & Banana Bread
150g gluten free flour
150g gluten free oats
1 tsp baking powder
3 medium (ripe) bananas, mashed with the back of a fork
1 medium egg
75g chocolate chips (milk/dark or white!)
60ml almond milk (or soy/coconut/rice etc..)
Loaf tin lined and greased
Pre heat the oven to 180oC
1) Start by pulsing your oats in a food processor/nutri bullet for a few seconds until they have a flour like consistency. If you don’t have either of these then you can leave the oats as they are – it will still work (but might not be quite as fluffy!)
2) In a medium bowl combine the flour, pulsed oats, cocoa and baking powder. Mix well and set aside.
3) In a large bowl chuck in the mashed bananas, egg and honey and 25ml of the milk and whisk well. Once done, fold in half of the ‘flour/cocoa’ mixture into this large bowl. Be careful not to over mix. Repeat with the remaining flour/cocoa mixture and the remaining milk as well as about 50g of the chocolate chips.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and give it a good wobble (click here and go to number 8 for a perfectly level loaf tip!) and scatter the remaining chocolate chips on top.
5) Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 24-27 minutes, it’s done when a skewer inserted comes out clean! Leave to cool in the tin and drizzle with a tad more honey (about a tbsp) while still warm. Once cooled, turn out onto a wire rack to let it cool completely.
and there you have it…a Blooming Healthy Chocolate and Banana Bread!